Saturday, October 16, 2010

069 - Initial Setup for Bluetooth Phone PC Data transfer

Initial Setup for Bluetooth Phone PC Data transfer
===

Background: I have pics etc on my phone that I want to transfer to a PC using the PC's Bluetooth transceiver.[Oct.2010]
This blog post, is written from memory, as I only has a short opportunity to try a Bluetooth enabled computer. It illustrates the steps to expect when PAIRING a DEVICE and the steps to expect when sending a file(s) between PAIRED DEVICES.


My friend's PC has Bluetooth. Having never used Bluetooth before, I went through the required settings in order to transfer a file to the PC, and subsequently, in the reverse direction, a file from the computer to the phone.

I right-mouse-click on a small text file on the PC, and then from the context menu, clicked "SendTo Bluetooth". A Windows® Bluetooth Wizard starts and tells you to proceed. When I continued, Windows immediately indicated Bluetooth was not available. So, after consulting the Windows Help feature, and a long time of trial & error, I remember ending up in the ControlPanel and finally enabling the PC's Bluetooth. ... To make a long story short, the PC needs to be configured to recognize and connect to your cell phone, & similarly, your cell phone needs to be set up to recognize your PC. During this process, Windows self-installs Bluetooth drivers specific to your cell-phone model.

In Jargon, this is called a setting up a "PAIRED DEVICE":

Main steps for the Cell phone:
- Navigate to your phone's Bluetooth section and turn it ON.
- Create your phone's unique (Bluetooth) NAME. (Usually there is a factory preset name, but you can change/tailor it to your own taste)
- Change the phone's Bluetooth visibility setting from Hidden to VISIBLE.
- Go to the phone's PC Data Transfer/Data Sync setting; from here, create your USERNAME, and your PASSWORD

Main steps for the PC:
- ENABLE/activate Bluetooth on PC
- use the Bluetooth Wizard (or ControlPanel?) to SEARCH for active devices (ie search for your Cell phone)
- From the list of Bluetooth devices found, choose and CONNECT to your phone
- enter the (cell phone's ) PASSWORD into the PC
- when prompted by your phone, enter the cell phone's PASSWORD in to your phone.

---note re: PASSWORD. Some phones appear to like numeric passwords over alphabetic character passwords. I don't know why that is.

Results:
---
I sent a small text file,"abc.txt", from the PC to the phone via the context menu "SendTo Bluetooth" selection. If I were prompted, (I likely had to) Accept the connection, once on the PC and once on the phone. Then I had to when prompted, enter the PASSWORD, once on the PC and once on the phone.
I received a note in my phone, (not my text message inbox). The note had no file name, but upon saving it, the phone used the content of the text file as the name of the note. The content/body of the the text file was accurate. [I don't know if this would work for unicode characters. In my test, the test file contained ANSI characters.]

Next, I sent a picture, a .jpg file from the phone to the PC. The phone prompts you to choose from your list of "Paired Devices" for the name of your PC. It asks you to enter the PASSWORD. The PC says a file is being sent (to the PC/itself) and also asks for a PASSWORD. Again, you enter the same one as discussed above. The PC receives the jpg but it stores it in a unique folder, not on the desktop.

No comments:

 
*re-jcpmaone-blogger* *re-jcpma-lv-cm-histats*